Genesis 2:9

I’m blessed to have a balcony at my home that is protected by tall evergreens and deciduous trees on the easement between our development and the adjacent high school parking lot. This area is a great place to spend time “defragging” my mind when the weather is conducive. And it affords me a cozy, private feel.

At times, when I think there are no breezes around I’ll still see a leaf or branch shimmy to a breeze that is too high up for me to personally feel. I believe my love of trees stems from my childhood home. My parents still reside where I grew up so every time I get the opportunity to visit there I’m reminded of all the beautiful trees on their property and surrounding neighborhood that I would spend time gazing at or climbing in as a child.

So, what’s the point of this study today? My previous post focused on the provision of trees that yield food for our sustenance. Did you notice in the quote from that less than 1% of plants are food bearing? What is the purpose of the other more than 99%? Let’s read Genesis 2:9 again:

And out of the ground the LORD God made to spring up every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food. The tree of life was in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. (Gen 2:9 ESV)

Did you see it?  “Pleasant to the sight” is part of God’s purpose for trees. We’ll look at other purposes for trees as we continue to travel together but right now simply focus on the fact that God appreciates and desires beauty. He purposely decorated the earth with all kinds of vegetation for our enjoyment and His.

As I write this post it just happens to be the fall season when the leaves are turning from their summer shades of glorious greens to a cornucopia of bronze, gold, and earthy reds. Other seasons provide interesting textures and colorful flowers from new growth, or nothing but the barky structure that stands firm year-round.

A little over a year after moving to South Carolina our dog, Bear, passed away after many ups and downs. I was grieving the loss of this precious pet as I drove the same route to work I’d been traveling for months. As I stopped for a red light my eyes glanced to the left to see a tree I’d seen many times before. At that moment though something about that tree wowed me more deeply than before. It shook me from my grief into a moment of praising God for His amazing creation.

Have you ever experienced a moment when a part of God’s creation moved you to praise and adoration of your creator? Or are you too busy grumbling that you need to clean leaves out of your home’s rain gutters or some other task that involves assisting the plants around you? Yes, nature can create work for us. (See Genesis 2:5, 15). But God also intended for the trees and other vegetation to generate pleasure and sustenance for us.

I’d love to hear your stories of how God’s landscaping efforts have impacted you towards awe and wonder. May you experience the pleasure of God’s creation today!


Barbara Lynn